A 4-year-old boy died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas-powered generator operating in a house in the wake of Hurricane Ike.

Joshua Aguirre died about 1 p.m. Saturday in the one-story house north of the city. He was one of four children inside at the time, the Houston Chronicle reported.

The generator was operating at the back of the house. Houston police officer Gabe Ortiz said the children’s father, who was working, called his brother and asked him to check on his family. Ortiz said the brother found the occupants in the house unresponsive and called for help.

Joshua died at the scene, and the others were taken to Memorial Hermann hospital. Ortiz did not know the names or ages of the other victims, and their conditions were not immediately known Sunday afternoon.