Alexandria, MN – WCCO-TV -Authorities believe a gas leak may have caused an explosion and fire that destroyed a veterinary clinic, killing all the animals there.

The blast happened around 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Alexandria’s Animal Doctor building on the north edge of the western Minnesota town.

The building was gutted, and all the animals died, Alexandria Fire Chief Shane Schmidt said Wednesday. He estimated fewer than 10 animals were there. No people were hurt, he said.

CenterPoint Energy, the state Office of Pipeline Safety and the state fire marshal’s office were on the scene Wednesday morning, Schmidt said. The gas was shut off, and 10 to 12 homes were evacuated because they had no heat, he said.

There was a small fire at the same clinic on Monday, but authorities don’t know if the two fires are connected.