Blackfoot, ID – A 28 year old Blackfoot man is dead after a suspected faulty furnace fills up his home with carbon monoxide this weekend.

KPVI News that Works for You went to Blackfoot on Monday and spoke with Blackfoot Fire Department who say these types of deaths are rare, but highlights the importance of keeping a

carbon monoxide detector in your home.

At around 5:30 p.m. on Friday, the Blackfoot Fire Department and Bingham County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to a home just off of Highway 39.

“This is just a tragedy for something like this to happen to such a nice young man,” says Laurie Williams.

That young man is 28 year old Tyson Gillins. Laurie Williams knew Tyson and is a friend of the family.

Bingham County Sheriff Craig Rowland tells KPVI that they suspect carbon monoxide from a faulty furnace in the home.

Blackfoot Fire Captain Brandon Wall tells KPVI carbon monoxide can leak from a number of different appliances.

“If you have anything in your home that burns propane, natural gas, a wood stove, and oil furnace,anything like that, certainly get a carbon monoxide detector.” Says Captain Brandon Wall with the Blackfoot Fire Department.

Captain Brandon Wall with the Blackfoot Fire Department says that carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless and the best way to detect it is through a carbon monoxide detector.

“Even those that don’t that may have a vehicle is the garage that they like to warm up, we have incidents where carbon monoxide has come into the house by that, and so everyone could benefit

from a carbon monoxide detector,” says Captain Wall.