Beaufort County, NC – A man is recovering Friday after a propane gas explosion Thursday morning leveled his home. The man was taken to the Jaycees Burn Center in Chapel Hill, where he is listed in fair condition.

Almost ninety minutes after the initial explosion, responders made a remarkable find. The Beaufort county man’s little dog, Toby, was pulled from the burning rubble surviving with minor injuries.

Authorities say the explosion happened on Boston Avenue in the Beaufort County city of Washington, North Carolina (NC) on Thursday April 2nd around 11:00 am. There is nothing left of the home. The damage to the structure was total. People in the Beaufort community reported hearing the explosion miles away.

Fire Chief Jimmy Davis says their investigation showed the explosion originated in the area of the gas oven. It was originally thought to emanate from the hot water tank.

The victim, James Murray, was first sent to Beaufort County Medical Center and was then transferred to the Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill, North Carolina (NC). Murray’s sister told WITN News that her brother has extensive burns t his head and face.

As mentioned, some ninety minutes after the explosion firefighters managed to pull Murray’s dog Toby out of the rubble, without a scratch. Chief Davis says Toby was buried underneath some of the debris, but will be fine.