Phoenix, AZ – Two people were transported to ahospital Monday night after Phoenix firefighters found high levels of carbon monoxide inside their home after a barbecue grill was used to heat it, authorities said Tuesday.
Fire crews responded to a call about 11 p.m. near 32nd Street and Greenway Road in which a woman was having difficulty breathing after a barbecue grill was used as a heat source, said Capt. Mike Billingsley, a spokesman with the Phoenix Fire Department.
The family was brought outside while hazmat crews inside found that high levels of carbon monoxide had traveled to the second story of the home, Billingsley said. Firefighters opened the windows and used fans to clear the atmosphere, he said.
Billingsley said the33-year-old woman and 13-year-old boy were taken to the hospital to be treated for possible carbon monoxide poisoning.
He also said heating sources need to be approved devices, such as furnaces or space heaters, with a three- to five-foot clear area around them.
“It’s a good idea to have both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the home,” Billingsley added. “And batteries need to be checked every 30 days.
“People should have their kids be aware of the detectors so they are not scared of the sound and can be aware and not fearful.”