WA, D.C. – NBC4 – D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services spokesman Alan Etter said a barking dog woke up a man and woman overnight, possibly saving them carbon monoxide poisoning.

Etter said a car had been left running in a garage of a home in the 4800 block of Glenbrook Road, Northwest, near American University.

And a poodle named “Reilly” wouldn’t stop barking and the problem was discovered when the residents went to find out why.

Firefighters were called around 3:20 a.m. and the man and woman were taken to a hospital. Etter said they should be OK.

Carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless and reportedly kills hundreds of people each year.