AZ- FOX11 – Four people were taken to a Valley hospital in serious condition after they were apparently overcome by carbon monoxide fumes Sunday at an apartment near 32nd Street and McDowell Road.

Fire crews were called to the scene after one of the people managed to call 911.

When they arrived, firefighters noticed an unusual odor and found two men and two women who were disoriented.

Investigators also found a charcoal barbecue grill inside the home.

“All four patients were conscious, but none of them were alert or knew where they were, so we suspected right away that it was carbon monoxide

poisoning,” said Phoenix Fire Department Capt. Victor Armendariz.

All four people are expected to be OK.

Fire investigators believe the grill might have been used for cooking.

One of the victim’s relatives said an incident such as this has happened before, adding that the victims also use the grill for heat.