Kankakee, IL- Carbon monoxide poisoning is believed to have killed a 1-year-old child in Kankakee on Saturday and hospitalized his mother.
Kankakee police were called to the 100 block of North Washington when a passerby found the pair inside a running car.
The child was pronounced dead at the hospital. An autopsy was scheduled for today, according to Kankakee County Coroner Bob Gessner.
Jay Etzel, Kankakee police investigation commander, said the 23-year-old mother and child were traveling from Iroquois County. She remains hospitalized.
He said high levels of carbon monoxide were detected inside the car.