ENID, OK – Firefighters say carbon monoxide poisoning likely caused the death of an 87-year-old Enid man.

A neighbor found Harry Edward Smith in Smith’s bedroom on Tuesday and emergency crews say Smith was unresponsive when they arrived. Enid Fire Marshal Ken Helms says it was obvious the room contained exhaust fumes and tests indicated elevated levels of the gas.

Helms says a furnace was running in a closet with the door closed and could not vent properly. He says the furnace’s blower cover had been removed and not replaced.

Once the cover was replaced, he says there was no carbon monoxide leak. Helms says he doesn’t know how long the blower cover had been removed.