Ferndale, MD – Five people were hospitalized this morning after being exposed to potentially harmful levels of carbon monoxide in a Ferndale home, an Anne Arundel County fire official said.

A carbon monoxide detector in the home at 102 Ferndale Road went off about 10:40 a.m., and emergency crews found two women, ages 51 and 46, two men, ages 55 and 20, and a 16-year-old boy suffering from headaches and nausea, said Lt. Russ Davies, a fire department spokesman.

Tests revealed readings of 120 parts per million of carbon monoxide on the first floor of the home and 900 parts per million in the basement, which can be lethal during a short period of exposure, Davies said. A reading of 30parts per million typically sets off a detector’s alarm.

Two of the victims were sent to Maryland Shock Trauma Center and three were sent to the University of Maryland Medical Center, Davies said. Their conditions were not available.