By The Examiner staff, Independence, Missouri

An Independence family was treated Tuesday night for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Independence Fire officials said a man was using a high-powered gasoline washing machine in his basement at 11340 High Ridge when the gas overtook him.

He was unresponsive when officials arrived but responded to oxygen treatment. The woman and child residents were not feeling well, and all three were taken to a hospital, officials said.

Fire officials said it is dangerous to use gasoline powered equipment in a home.