South Haven, MI – Detroit Free Press – Carbon monoxide fumes at an Allegan County cottage apparently killed a 78-year-old woman and sent her 80-year-old husband to a hospital, Michigan State Police said.

The couple was visiting from Birmingham and sleeping in a bedroom in the upper level of the cottage, located just north of South Haven, on Sunday morning, authorities told the Kalamazoo Gazette.

The husband was last listed in critical condition at South Haven Community Hospital.

A faulty central heater and fan were apparently to blame, authorities said, but the cause was under investigation.