A major Prince George’s County shopping center where nine firefighters were injured after a natural gas explosion in May was evacuated Sunday after firefighters again found a significant gas leak, authorities said.

Just after 1 p.m., emergency responders were dispatched to Forestville’s Penn Mar Shopping Center after someone smelled natural gas, authorities said.

As firefighters arrived, they immediately smelled the gas and noted “extremely high” readings on gas meters, particularly one inside a Marshalls department store, said Mark Brady, a spokesman for the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department.

Officials shut off gas and electric service to the shopping center and evacuated every store, Brady said.

Brady said the scene was “all too familiar” after the May 7 emergency, when an explosion caused by a gas leak destroyed several stores. This time, though, there was no explosion and no injuries, he said.

Brady said officials from Washington Gas and Pepco are investigating possible causes for the gas leaks.