Sioux City, IA – SIOUX CITY | Two people were examined for carbon monoxide poisoning Thursday afternoon at a home on the 2100 block of Douglas Street.

A call was made at 1:50 p.m. when a utility worker detected high levels of carbon monoxide in the building.

The two occupants of the home, an adult and a child, were experiencing flu-like symptoms, which is typical of carbon monoxide poisoning, said Sioux City Fire Rescue Capt. Dave Ahlers.

MidAmerican Energy employees confirmed the presence of the deadly gas within the home, citing a malfunctioning boiler as the cause, Ahlers said.

“A lot of times when a gas appliance malfunctions this is the time of year we find out. It’s more common this time of year,” he said. “It’s important for people to make sure their appliances are in good condition.”

The adult was taken to the hospital for further examination of the symptoms, but Alhers said the recovery is quick and simple.

“It’s just a matter of getting out of the carbon monoxide