FL – Sun-Sentinal – At least a dozen cases of carbon monoxide poisoning have hit Palm Beach County in Frances’ wake despite numerous warnings by public officials.

People who run gas-powered generators or cook on charcoal or gas grills are being cautioned against using them in or near their homes.

A family of three from Hypoluxo was hospitalized Wednesday after they left their generator running on the back patio of their apartment.

Officials stress that leaving generators and grills outside isn’t enough — people should put these fume-releasing appliances in areas away from the home, where fumes can’t seep in and flammable objects aren’t close by. Windowsills, patios and garages are not good places to put these appliances,

officials said.

“It’s a judgment call,” County Fire-Rescue Capt. Don Delucia said. “Use common sense.”

Carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas is highly poisonous.Symptoms of exposure include fatigue, nausea, headaches and dizziness, health officials warn. In extreme cases, the fumes can lead to death.

Health officials caution that a few simple steps can avoid health complications.

“The absolute best thing to do is go outside and breathe fresh air,” Delucia said.