The Siskiyou County Sheriff Coroner’s Office has determined that an 83-year-old Mt. Shasta man died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Patrick G. Murdoch died on Friday at Mercy Medical Center Mount Shasta. He was taken to the hospital by his wife after becoming ill earlier that day.

According to a press release Tuesday, the Murdoch home was being powered by a generator located outside of the residence due to the power outage caused by last week’s storms.

The press release states that officials suspect the carbon monoxide exhaust emitted from the generator was blocked from dissipating into the open air because of the deep snow, instead flowing into the home.