Union City, NJ – Four residents of a Palisade Avenue home were hospitalized Tuesday night after they were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes, police confirmed.

A resident of the home in the 2600 block arrived around 8:30 p.m. and discovered two other residents unconscious, Lt. Joseph

Botti said. Two more residents had also been sickened by the fumes, but all four were conscious by the time they were

transported to Hoboken University Hospital. The victims were all between the ages of about 40 and 80, Botti said.

Two police officers assisting at the scene and who complained of dizziness and head pain were also treated at the hospital, Botti


Botti also said that carbon monoxide readings were extremely high in the home. The cause of the incident was under investigation Tuesday night.

Carbon monoxide, an odorless, invisible gas, can be lethal in sufficiently high concentrations and is a particular hazard during cold weather, when it can be emitted by heating systems.

Temperatures were in the teens and low 20s across New

Jersey Tuesday night.

Fire officials urge homeowners to keep CO and fire detectors in good working order.