An apparent gas explosion at an apartment complex in Tomball left one man critically injured Monday.

The explosion happened at about 1:50 p.m. at the Woodstock Townhomes in the 1000 block of Graham Drive. It destroyed the 58-year-old’s apartment and gave him severe burns.

After fire and police arrived, he was airlifted to Memorial Hermann Hospital in critical condition.

Although other complex residents were initially evacuated, they have since been allowed back, the police said.

Fire marshals are investigating the possibility that the man’s gas water heater exploded, according to police.