Reading, PA- Five children were treated in Reading Hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning Saturday night after exposure to the potentially deadly gas in a Cumru Township residence, authorities said.

Gouglersville Assistant Fire Chief Joseph A. Garipoli said the children became ill while playing in the basement at 436 Old Lancaster Pike shortly before 7 p.m.

The names and ages of the three boys and two girls were not released.

The residence is rented by Juan Mojica and Lisa Cruz, who were hosting a party attended by about 15 people, Garipoli said.

Garipoli said carbon monoxide levels in the basement measured 36 parts per million about 31/2 times the level at which extended exposure can cause illness.

Witnesses gave conflicting reports about how the children became ill, Garipoli said.

Garipoli said it’s likely that exhaust from a car idling in the driveway filled the basement and made the children ill.