Newport News, VA – Fire officials are investigating high carbon monoxide levels that sickened four people at a Newport News business.

Newport News Fire Department Battalion Chief Robert E. Lee says the incident occurred Wednesday night. Two people were taken to a hospital for exposure to carbon monoxide and two others refused transport.

Lee says in a news release that emergency medical services workers went to the business in response to a report of an illness. They were alerted to the carbon monoxide by a detector when they entered the building.

The Newport News Fire Marshal’s Office plans to inspect the building on Thursday. Until the inspection is completed, the business will be closed.