Loveland, CO – Two firefighters treated for second-degree burns on their hands after an explosion at a residential garage Saturday will not return for work for several weeks.

The firefighters were trying to cut open a garage door at 4407 Sun Ridge Drive in Loveland around 9:30 p.m. when the explosion blew them backward, Battalion Chief Jeff Genger said. Captain Craig Willard says the men were not wearing their fire resistant gloves at the time.

The firefighters were treated at Medical Center of the Rockies and released, officials said. A third firefighter who was involved in the explosion was not hurt. Their names were not released.

The Loveland Fire Department says a faulty propane space heater filled the garage with propane. When the propane ignited, that caused the explosion.