Frankford, MO – Carbon monoxide poisoning is being blamed in the death of a couple in northeast Missouri.

The Hannibal Courier-Post reports that 49-year-old Howard Stout and 48-year-old Theresa Stout died Wednesday night or Thursday morning in rural Pike County. They were found in a small camper where they had been living.

Coroner Jim Turner says the Stouts hooked up a propane tank and had a space heater in the camper, which apparently caused carbon monoxide poisoning. A relative found the couple about 10 a.m. Thursday. They were last seen alive about 3 p.m. the day before.