Burlington, MA – DENNIS SHAUGHNESSEY, Lowell Sun Staff

Fourteen people were taken to area hospitals last night after carbon monoxide was released inside a Burlington restaurant.

The colorless, odorless and potentially lethal gas wafted into the air at the Papa Razzi Italian restaurant and left customers fainting and short of breath, according to Burlington Fire Capt. Scott Carpenter.

The incident at the Wall Street eatery, off Cambridge Street near the Burlington Plaza, forced the evacuation of building, but none of the injuries are considered life-threatening, according to Carpenter.

Six people were taken to Burlington’s Lahey Clinic, three to Concord’s Emerson Hospital, and the other five were sent to Lawrence Memorial Hospital in Medford. Heating units are being explored as possible cause, according to officials.

The 10:30 p.m. scare at the popular chain restaurant brought out two fire engines and six ambulances from Burlington. A state hazardous-materials official had also been at the scene.

Carpenter was unsure what level of carbon monoxide was released, or the extent of the contamination at the restaurant. An examination of the site today must be complete before a decision can be reached on when the restaurant can reopen.