Dallas, TX- The Seattle Times – Carbon-monoxide fumes from a small generator that was powering fans spread through an apartment building early yesterday, sending 13 people to hospitals.

Capt. Jesse Garcia of Dallas-Fire Rescue said a man who lost power in his apartment had been using the gasoline-powered generator to run some fans and a television. The man called 911 about 7 a.m. yesterday when he found his children, ages 18 and 25, unconscious.

Among the 13 taken to hospitals were two children and two teenagers. Their conditions weren’t released last night. Other tenants were treated by medics outside the building.

Garcia said firefighters found carbon-monoxide levels as high as 1,000 parts per million. Firefighters order evacuation when the levels pass 35 parts per million, he said