Salt Lake City, UT – KUTV 2 – Nine children and three adults are lucky to be alive after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning.

Salt Lake City firefighters arrived at the home just after 6:30 PM yesterday. They say the occupants of the home were using a charcoal grill to heat the house for about three hours when everyone began to get sick.

The victims were nauseous, had clammy skin and other flu-like symptoms.

All 12 were transported to the hospital.

One of the occupants told officials the furnace broke and the landlord had not fixed it, but they needed to heat the home to keep a sick baby warm.

Salt Lake housing officials are working with the landlord to get the furnace fixed.