Sun Prairie, WI- A possible gas explosion reduced a house to rubble in a southern Wisconsin community early Tuesday, leaving one person dead and two others injured, authorities said.
Debris from the exploded house hung from the trees and yellow brown insulation was scattered down the block in the Sun Prairie neighborhood, which was evacuated following the explosion about 3:20 a.m.
We Energies spokesman Barry McNulty said the explosion appears to have been caused by natural gas. The utility received several reports of a strong odor of natural gas and its representatives have shut off gas service to the area, McNulty said.
Sun Prairie police spokesman Rem Brandt said a man was killed in the blast, while a man and woman were injured and taken to University Hospital where they are in serious condition.
Evacuated residents were sent initially to a nearby elementary school, then taken to Sunshine Place, a facility that houses a number of charitable organizations.
Police cordoned off a one-block radius around the house with yellow tape. Firefighters picked through the rubble.