One person was killed and four others injured Tuesday when an apartment exploded in a blast that blew out all of the units windows and prompted the precautionary evacuation of at least 10 other units.
A natural gas leak was blamed for the blast though the source had not been pinpointed. No foul play is suspected in the explosion that occurred a little before 4 p.m. at the Henness Flats apartment complex off Waters Way, Truckee police Lt. Harwood Mitchell said earlier.
One adult died and another was critically hurt and taken to Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno while three children were being treated at Tahoe Forest Hospital in Truckee. All sustained burn or blast-type injuries, Harwood said. The five may have been part of a family with the adults believed to be the parents.
No names had been released Tuesday night.
About 4 p.m., Truckee police received a call of a loud bang or explosion at the apartment complex.
Officers and Truckee fire personnel went in, located a female who was injured within and other injured family members already outside the apartment, Harwood said.
It was unclear where in the apartment the blast originated.
The explosion was contained to the one downstairs apartment with some damage extending into a nearby unit. Later, the windows and doors of nearby apartments were opened and those residents moved in case natural gas had caused the explosion.
The American Red Cross was at the scene to assist.
Victor Diaz, 10, of Truckee said that he saw the fire and police personnel head to the apartment complex. He followed the crews. There were people crying for help, Diaz said.
Henness Flats includes 92 two and three bedroom apartments, according to an apartment guide.